Barrasford Village Hall.  Est 1927

Back in 1924 a few of the villagers got together and floated the idea of erecting a village hall and reading room.  They launched a public subscription which raised about half the cost, the remainder being made up by a bank loan.

The building of the hall commenced in the summer of 1926 and the total cost was £491/9/1 which included £6/3/4 for the installation of paraffin lamp lighting.  The land on which the hall was built was rented from the Duke of Northumberland at a cost of 5/- a year.

The hall was opened in August 1927 by Her Grace The Duchess of Northumberland.

Initially part of the hall was used as a Reading Room and Billiard Room and the villagers paid an annual membership fee which entitled them to study the daily Evening Chronicle and the weekly Hexham Courant.  

['A Brief History 1924 - 2024' is available as a document download]